pituitary tumor and pineal gland cyst

|Update April 2013:  What happened after? I took cabergoline to reduce its size from Jan. 2010 to July 2011. Though I had to get off cabergoline so I could breastfeed. But the tumor still continued to shrink after I had gotten off drugs luckily (early 2012). I have completely normal prolactin levels nowadays and the leftovers of the tumor are inactive.|

Today I got my results from the MRI, it was unexpected and expected...like..I was thinking that nost likely I don't have one but at the same time felt it was not surprising if that makes sense.

Pretty much the first thing my Doctor said was "you have a small tumor, about 0.6mm's".
I also have a cyst, both are located at the brain, one at the front towards the nose, the other at the base of the scull.

My report says:

- pituitary adenoma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_adenoma

"-Pituitary adenomas are tumors that occur in the pituitary gland, and account for about 10% of intracranial neoplasms."

- pineal gland cyst
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland_cyst

"-A pineal gland cyst is a benign cyst in the pineal gland, a small endocrine gland in the brain."

In 30% of the cases the tumor (or the cyst) can shrink, even dissapear on meds for the prolactinoma. In 70% it stays the same and they need life long medication. In a few cases, surgery is needed.
As far as I understand it this is not the bad kind of tumor, but I will double check it.

I also had my eyes photographed since both can affect eyesight (and other things)


My eyes seem fine but I was referred to an Ophthalmologist to get a visual field done.

Thyroid will be left untreated for the following reasons:


- prolactin pills may better it

- currently my levels are not so great but the thyroid is still working good on its own, the antibodies may be high because of the tumor and prolactin and drop soon, the same can happen for the TSH.

Treating me now would only confuse my body further and cause me more ups and downs until the right dose is found. It would take needed work from my thyroid and the Dr. is trying to keep it working on it own. He stated that tests indicate there have been ups and downs, which might explain minor hair loss problems I had in 2008 (see my blog here)

I don't feel too bad, not happy about the result but it seems treatable. Just can't stop touching my head and imagining the tumor atm o_O.             above: part of my eye...

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wie dumm von mir. Nur einen Eintrag drunter hast du noch mehr darüber geschrieben.
    Ich wünsch dir wirklich gute Besserung, Emi. <3
    Dass der Tumor wieder von selbst verschwindet und du wieder ein normales Leben führen kannst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about pituitary tumor. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about pituitary tumor.
    Most tumours are benign but are quite serious because of their position close to important brain structures.
    Because the pituitary gland is responsible for the production of hormones key to proper body function, tumors often interfere with this production—either by limiting the amount of hormone produced or generating excessive amounts. Growth hormone (regulates body height and structure), prolactin (controls lactation, or milk production), sex hormones (control the menstrual cycle and other sexual functions), thyroid gland hormones (control the thyroid gland), adrenal gland hormones, and vasopressin (a hormone involved in water and electrolyte balance) are all examples of hormones that can be affected. Growing tumors can also push on surrounding structures, often resulting in headaches, behavioral changes, and vision problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie,

    thank your for all that info. I realized that the fact that my body is growing tumors (among other things), is really saying that there is something wrong with my overall health. I have changed so much since then, and I am so happy it is gone now and my prolactin levels are normal again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this blog! The exact cause of pituitary tumor is not known. Treatment usually includes surgery to remove the tumor, though in some cases drug therapy may be used to reduce tumor size. Replacement hormone therapy is often prescribed following surgery and/or radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Layne
    Thank you for your reply!
    That is exactly what I did, I took cabergoline to reduce its size. Though I had to get off cabergoline so I could breastfeed. But the tumor still continued to shrink after I had gotten off drugs luckily. I have completely normal prolactin levels nowadays. I should update this post a bit I think :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Google+ Followers

Emi

Emi
32 yr old slave to a toddler and Medieval Lady from Frankfurt am Main, Germany -"that which is beautiful isn't always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

Followers

Instagram @silberin_manelieht