I filmed it because soon that place will no longer exist. It is a housing area that was build for industrial workers for a major factory in Germany in Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz). Many of these "housing areas", that are much made up like Military Housing, are over a hundred years old.
My grandparents place was built in 1920. A U-shaped housing complex with a park at the center, parking and a place for laundry. It was much different from where I lived in Hesse (Hessen), with its medieval timber framed houses. It was a different kind of "old". Industrial old.
Going there for a visit was always like going to a different world for me. I found the people odd, and their accent, the look of the houses and the smell of the air (factory) ;). But I always enjoyed my time there.
The video is about the things I used to do and see. I am basically visiting very memorable places (colored scenes) and remembering the past (Sepia). At the beginning new and old are a bit thrown together but soon it becomes clear what is past and what is present.
Detailed Walk Through:
1. Showing you an aged view of the old housing area. You can see some of my family exploring the area that is now dull and grey, but was once a very beautiful park with a big playground and many "worker children", my friends. None of them live there anymore. Only a few people try to postpone the eviction from their old apartments. This place has seen so many housing community fests, that it is very sad to see it so deserted. The playground was already torn down. Somewhere in there you will see a picture of one year old me playing in that same park and a picture of my grandparents when they started dating.
2. The view changes to the current, grey, deserted state and then transitions to a few bright pictures that show how well maintained and beautiful it was and my grandma looking out the window with all her flowers framing the basement area.
Then you see me by the cellars, which was some sort of special hiding and safe place for me. I always entered the park through the basement door too.
3. Going down the stairs that I walked down to get to the basement, where my grandfather spent a lot of time developing photographs. I used to love working in the dark room. Part of the reason I like photography and filming so much is because of him.
My face appears, which symbolizes the present, spring 2013. I am standing in my uncles old room under the rooftop, which is empty. Then I walk further up the stairs into the attic. The whole house is empty, aside from my grandmothers apartment. It has a creepy vibe. I look down from the attic window which I used to like because it was so high up.
4. My grandmothers apartment looks the same way it did when I was a baby. I remember the living room shelves just like that. My son walks up to the lamp by the bottom of the shelf. The next old picture shows my great grandmother and Baby me in the same spot.
My grandmothers kitchen was where we spent lots of time, watching General Hospital, Dallas, Knight Rider, The A-Team etc. We also always ate in the kitchen.
In the hallway you can see the high ceilings and doors the apartment has as my son walks into the picture. We go into the bedroom, where you can see old family photos on the wall. I always used to look at myself in this flexible mirror to see myself in doubles or even multiples. I also always used to get into my grandmothers jewelry.
5. The family used to spend lots of time in the dining room with coffee and cake. You can see a picture of 12 year old me sitting at the table (and my sister). The dining room still has one of these old ovens (Kachelofen). The next picture shows my greatgrandmother holding me just in front of the same oven, then it transitions to me closing the door of the oven to pick up my son who was calling me.
6. One last flashback at present me, fading into sepia to show that even though that is the present now, one day I will be the past, just like my memories and everyone remembered. A little image of 7 year old me. Looking at it I can hardly believe how much time has past already and that this little girl will one day be an old woman, but there is no way of stopping it.
I promise I am working on hair do videos as well. I took a break from them because of the hair loss period that ended spring.