✛ NYD...what does it mean? My secret motto that i live by


NYC Highline Park Feb. 2010

"Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror."


You might have spotted this quote, that has been on top of my blog since the very beginning. I have kept it's meaning to myself for years, but I decided it is time to share. The translation can now be seen on my blog, but I thought I would explain why exactly this became my motto.

The translation is this:

"Trouble is oppressive to the heart; yet often it proves a source of help and salvation to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes."

It is from the Anglo Saxon Rune Poem that dates back to the year 800 AD. It is one of the oldest poems in the world. Each part of the poem represents a different rune. The bit that I chose belongs to the rune :  NYD/ Naudhiz
Which means "Need, Trouble" and in the poem is used much like "bad times" or "problems".
"Trouble is oppressive to the heart..." it makes your heart heavy. Your troubles can get you down or even cause you to fall into some sort of depression.

What I like about this poem though, is that it says that trouble can also be a source of help and "salvation":
Salvation (Latin salvatioGreek sōtēriaHebrew yeshu'ah) is being saved or protected from harm[1]or being saved or delivered from some dire situation. (source:wikipedia)


If you deal with your troubles right way, they can be seen as help, they can result into salvation, meaning you being saved from a dire situation. 

..."to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes."

The children of men are we, the people. Betimes means: before the usual or expected time; early.
to heed means to pay attention to; take notice of.


My interpretation 

- Troubles can really get you down, and make your heart feel heavy. They can cause you to fall into depression. But they can also be a source of help and save you from things that you otherwise would not have seen. They can help you in making the right, life changing decisions. They will make you see clearer and give you an enemy you can fight. They point you into the right direction.
The important thing is not to drown in your sorrows. Be sad, but don't let it take you over. Find the strength to do whatever it takes to change your life around. Do it in time, pay attention to yourself and the signs, don't wait, don't keep suffering and let these troubles eat you up. 

(Picture 11.2009)

My "troubles" were not only my health. My life was just as troublesome. My past marriage had turned into something ugly and sickening. 
When I first read this poem, I though that I wanted to make this true for myself. I did not know how then. But I knew I wanted to change my life around, no matter what I had to do. I wanted to rid myself of everything negative. I wanted to take charge, take care of myself, and I was determined to get healthy. 
I did not know very much about natural remedies and diet then, but I felt like my sheer will power could heal me. I kept telling myself over and over again that I will be okay and eventually I started to believe it. 

This kept me very focused and optimistic. This made me keep going and keep researching, reading and reading and reading until I find one small piece of a big puzzle. There is no way in hell that I would ever give up on the idea of being perfectly healthy. And I mean glowing healthy! Including my body, mind, hair, skin...

I feel that if I would have done nothing back then, things would be much different now. Imagine I would have stayed in my past life, in this painful relationship. If I would have simply believed the doctors that I am dealing with life long health issues, that can only be (quote!) "controlled" with lots of meds, while my health continues to get worse.

I think I would have slowly fallen apart. My hair (and skin) was just the "warning", I would have continued to look worse too. I don't even want to imagine what I could have looked and felt like at 40, the amount of medication taken and procedures done to my body. 

I also always had a feeling that I might not even get very old with all this, my health had worsened so quickly, and it started when I was young, not like most people who develop problems later in life. The increasing cancer cells were a big threat, but I also did not want to experience more symptoms of Hashimoto's, or the tumor at my pituitary gland to grow. 

This may sound like someone who is panicking about health issues, but this natural fear is also something that pushed me to make changes. Too many people simply "accept" their fate.

I am not someone to believe into magical cures or anything. I am just as realistic as I am dreamy. 
But I am very 'open' to things I don't know about. I will not quickly judge something that I don't know enough about. I believe a bit of useful information can be found in everything. I even believe it would actually be foolish to dismiss something as wrong, when you haven't researched it extensively.
That is how I see the world of alternative remedies and health diets. Nothing out there is completely flawless, modern medicine sure isn't...so I don't understand why people get so roweled up over how helpful natural medicine or diet is. It all is just way too complex to simply say 'good' or 'bad'. You need to pick out the good from the bad.
(Picture from 10.2011->)

If you got nothing to lose, if things can not get worse, only better and if everything you have tried hasn't lead to success, you may be more likely to try alternatives. This isn't a bad thing. These people aren't stupid. It is the natural survival mechanism of the human that keeps telling them to keep searching. And in many cases, like mine, it was a good idea.

I can not claim that one (1) remedy resulted into me becoming healthier. It is never just 'one' thing. There are a million little things that will need fixing when your overall health isn't doing well. There is no one miracle cure. Every little change I have made has contributed to me getting better. That is why I write about all  of this here. 

I hope this was understandable. These were just my thoughts. I feel I should explain myself a bit more on my blog, so that whoever reads this (15,588 views a month! Eek!) will understand where I am coming from. I have also kept quiet about that stressful time in my life, because I was still dealing with it myself. I went from ignoring it and just getting away from it all, to quietly thinking about it. I just needed to understand it a bit better, focus on my health and family and see how things will go in general.
Now, I might just need to get it off my chest, to feel like it has been completely dealt with.

I am planning to keep this Blog and my YouTube up indefinitely, and I feel that includes being open about myself and my life too. In a drama free way of course ;) I am not a fan of drama lol, and I don't have any skeletons in my closet anyway. I am very boring when it comes to that type of stuff.



If you want to find out more about the Anglo Saxon rune poem check out these links!:







11 comments:

  1. loved it emi thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you for sharing too! I read a lot of things you've written and now I know you've been through a lot of things.. I'm glad you're finally happy!
    ~ Dessi ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dessi! Yes, there were hard times. Especially when all these health problems came out of nowhere and life just wasn't great in general. But it also shows how much good can come out of something so bad. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to know that you are happy now. No one should go through all this, sorry that you had to.

    ~Preeths~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I try to see it positive, it made me stronger and lead me to knowledge that is now very helpful to me AND others.

      Delete
  4. Well, I'll be very general: your blog was my greatest discovery in 2013. Really valuable blog!
    This post was really interesting to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fawn!! ^^ <3 That means a lot.

      Delete
  5. Emi I seem to just came across your post randomly and much amused to find it, its an reasl inspiration to all those women panicking with life's problem, I'm sure if they read thru this it would definitely be an inspiration and a ray of hope to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy :) I hope it will be! I know thinking this way helped me so much.

      Delete
  6. You are most welcome Emi, its real great to read thru your blogs looking for more such stuff from you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Google+ Followers

Emi

Emi
32 yr old slave to a toddler and Medieval Lady from Frankfurt am Main, Germany -"that which is beautiful isn't always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

Followers

Instagram @silberin_manelieht